Compiled from the TV and video series "Travel in Europe with Rick Steves
Discover the World Many Travelers Miss
- Relax in the sunny, tourist town of Lagos in southern Portugal and take in the endless stretch of beach.
- Visit the quaint, simple fishing town of Salema where tourism and local culture co-exist peacefully.
- Learn the art of "effective bargaining" as you negotiate for fresh fruits and vegetables at a local open air market.
- Travel to the beautifully rugged Cape Sagres and learn about Portugal's rich history of 15th century navigation.
- Recall Lisbon's glory days in the 15th and 16th century when ambitious explorers such as Magellan and Vasco da Gama opened new trade routes to India.
- Travel by trolley to the imposing Belem Tower, built in 1515, which guards Lisbon Harbor.
- Sample the world's finest ports at the nearby Port Wine Institute.
- Wonder at the ruins of an ancient castle dating back to when the Moors ruled the Iberian peninsula.