Sicily is an island of treasures from many cultures. Its fertile soil and strategic location in the Mediterranean made the island a target of conquest: In 211 BC the Romans, in 535 the Byzantine, in 827 the Arabs, in 1071 the Normans and a populous revolt in 1282 lead to Spanish rule in 1302. Many years of internal strife followed until Garibaldi landed in Marsala in 1860 and united the island with Italy.
This DVD captures many slices of these cultures and presents the experience of being there in person. The DVD contains two selectable audio tracks:
- Thematic music
- Videographers comments
The Remarkable locations you will visit:
- Roman Villa of Casale-These preserved Roman floor mosaics are the best in the world.
- The Valley of Temples-Visit five temples from various time periods in Agrigento.
- Parco delle Madonie- A vast forest preserve in central Sicily. A short hike to a summit.
- Cefalu- Walk the streets of this ancient town, visit restaurants, historical sites and churches.
- La Rocca- Climb the gigantic "rock" and visit Byzantine ruins and an ancient temple.
- Castlebuono-visit the medieval castle and town as the foothills of the Madonie mountains.
- Greek/Roman Theatre- Second largest in Sicily set in the side of mount Tauro, Taormina.
- Sights and Sounds- Walk in Taormina, visit gardens and piazzas, and drive the roads.
- Mount Etna- Take a ski lift and "jeep" to just below the summit. Descend into an extinct caldera.
- Carriage Ride- Take a cart ride through Ortygia Island in Syracuse.Visit the temple of Apollo.
- Archaeological Park- Syracuse has the largest Greek theatre in Sicily. Visit man-made caves.
- Stairway of St.Maria, Caltagirone- 142 steps each decorated with a different series of titles.