For lighthouse lovers, the State of Michigan is a dream come true. Four of the Great Lakes -- Michigan, Superior, Huron, and Erie -- have shorelines in Michigan. As a result, the state offers a large number and variety of lighthouses, each with a distinct look and character guaranteed to please maritime and lighthouse enthusiasts.
Michigan Lighthouses offers a healthy sampling of these wonderful structures, taking the viewer on a virtual tour of Michigan's many treasures, complete with live footage from the ground and air, rare photographs and paintings and even several spooky ghost stories. Maritime and lighthouse historians add colorful anecdotes and stories.
Among the entries in this hour-long program:
- The Whitefish Point, De Tour Reef, Round Island, and Point Iroquois lighthouses, guardians of the waters near the Soo Locks
- The Stannard's Rock lighthouse, one of the most isolated lighthouses on the Great Lakes, which warns ships of a deadly reef that brings the waters from a depth of nearly 550 feet to less than a yard, all within a couple of miles
- The Marquette Harbor Lighthouse and history of this important port
- The Old Mackinac Point lighthouses and Cheboygan Crib, which warn ships of deadly fog and nasty seas in the area around the Straits of Mackinac and details of the Mackinac Bridge
- The Mainstee North Pierhead, Ludington North Pierhead, Little Sable, Muskegon South Pierhead, Grand Haven, South Haven, and St. Joseph lighthouses on Michigan's west coast
- The ghost stories of the Waugoshance, Seul Choix, Old Presque Isle, Big Bay, and Point Aux Barques lighthouses, many of the spirits former lighthouse keepers who can't seem to leave their posts.
"We had quite a challenge in making this particular documentary," says Southport Video Productions producer/director Mark C. Gumbinger. "We wanted to cover as many areas around the state as possible, and there were so many great lighthouses that making selections was a real challenge."
This one-hour documentary, featuring a wealth of rare photographs, live footage and interviews with several lighthouse historians, is an educational and entertaining program suitable for viewers of all ages.