From the word "go", a trek to the world's most unlikely desert is an adventure. Located in Canada's far north, getting into the Athabasca Sand Dunes is an expedition that begins at the end of the road. From the remote wilderness of the Lone Wolf Camp, Dene native guide Brian McDonald leads the journey, interpreting the voices of the land and educating viewers on how the Dunes were formed. Dene legends, geological facts, the Dunes are uncovered from all perspectives. A grueling three day, 4x4 trek through bogs and swamps delivers the hard road to overland exploration. But from the air, this rare formation is captured in its perpetual state, suffocating the living forest and slowly taking over.
- Witness the psychedelic kaleidoscope of the Northern Lights
- Take a 4x4 trek over swamp land to the shores of Lake Athabasca
- Climb aboard a bush plane for a journey to the Dunes
- Cruise along the butterscotch ribbon of the William River
- Discover the secrets of the world's most northern desert
- Experience the Dene's ancestral connection to the land
From the aerial view to the human perspective, Exploring Horizons
travels off the beaten path to the remote corners of the world and finds those places where civilization moved in without taking over. Three stunning seasons cover a cross section of culture, adventure and amazing places that make up our global village.
Shot in North America, Central America, South America, Europe and North Africa.