Join Cheryll in Johannesburg, South Africa, a modern and diverse city with a unique energy. While in this vibrant city, Cheryll discovers local crafts, learns more about the antiapartheid movement, and shops for exquisite tanzanite jewelry.
Episode highlights include:
- Find contemporary ethnic home accessories at Hilmond Weavers and Interiors.
- Wind your way through the stalls at Rosebank Rooftop Market, an African craft market likened to a living museum where art from different African tribes is represented.
- Take in the bold colors, cool cuts, and trendy, bold designs at Big Blue.
- Enjoy warm hospitality and traditional African foods at Wandie’s Place, the first restaurant in the Johannesburg area to serve native Africans.
- Visit Amara, where native women learn skills as modern artists and jewelry designers. They add novel touches to ancient crafts and provide for their families at the same time.
Throughout the episode you will also experience:
- The roles of women in South Africa
- Shopping malls
- Hector Peterson Outdoor Market
- Hair extensions
- African silk
Let’s Shop brings you the best shopping experiences from top travel destinations all over the world. Join host Cheryll Gillespie as she explores the funkiest boutiques, hippest malls, and most exclusive shops the world over. Packed with historical information and travel tips, Cheryll lends her keen eye and sage advice to make each trip an unforgettable combination of luxury, culture, and fun.