People have been captivated by lighthouses since early settlement days in the United States. Lighthouses have symbolized strength and stability, and their beacons of light, cast miles over stormy waters, have guided many a ship to safety. Even today, with many lighthouses decommissioned and the rest fully automated, tourists flock to these aging towers, as if to recapture a piece of lost history
Southport Video Productions, producer of a long series on prominent shipwrecks, including the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Andrea Doria, as well as the recent Lighthouse of the Great Lakes, has recently released Lighthouses of Lake Superior. This documentary examines some of the most celebrated lighthouses on the largest of the Great Lakes, including:
- Whitefish Point Lighthouse, the historically important guardian of some of Lake Superior's most unpredictable waters
- Stannard's Rock Lighthouse, a lonely, isolated structure that warns ships of deadly shoals that have claimed a number of unsuspecting ships
- Rock of Ages Lighthouse, whose keeper staged a heroic rescue when a ship actually collided with the island on which the lighthouse is located
- The Apostle Islands, including the Sand Island and Outer Island lighthouses, also the sites of almost miraculous rescues, and the Raspberry Island Lighthouse, the most frequently visited in the Apostle Island group
- Split Rock Lighthouse, one of the most beautiful lighthouses on the Great Lakes
- The Copper Harbor Lighthouse, a brick, schoolhouse-style structure
- Duluth Harbor Lighthouses, and aerial lift bridge;and
- Soo Locks, history of this important waterway.
"People loved Great Lake Lighthouses, which was an overview of the lighthouses on all five Great Lakes," says producer Mark Gumbinger, who, as always has enhanced his stories with stunning photographs, paintings, aerial footage from a Coast Guard helicopter, as well as vivid, colorful background stories provided by respected Great Lakes historians. "We were able to go into greater detail with this program, and viewers will come away with a deeper understanding of the importance of these great structures. Every lighthouse has a unique story," he concludes, "and we were happy to have been able to offer the stories of these beloved icons."
Entertaining and educational, Lighthouses of Lake Superior is certain to please lighthouse enthusiasts of all ages.